The manufacture nationale de Sevres is a Frit porcelain porcelain tendre factory at Sèvres, France. Formerly a royal, then an imperial factory, the facility is now run by the Ministry of Culture
The Sèvres company was founded in 1738. In 1740, the Vincennes manufactory was created, with the support of Louis XV and Madame de Pompadour.
In 1756, the factory moved to Sèvres, near Madame de Pompadour’s Bellevue Palace. This new building, 130 meters longer, was built between 1753 to 1756 with Lindet as architect. It became a royal factory in 1759.
Jean-Claude Chambellan Duplessis served as artistic director of the Vincennes porcelain manufactory and its successor at Sèvres from 1748 to his death in 1774. Louis-Simon Boizot was director between 1774 and 1800; Alexandre Brogniart director between 1800 to 1847; and Henri Victor Regnault director beginning in 1854.