Shop

Shop Categories

Sale

Royal Doulton Character Jug Sam Weller D6140

Hits: 738
$60.00 $30.00
plus 13 % TAX
Quantity in stock: 1

Royal Doulton Character Jug, Sam Weller D6140 (dark brown hat; light brown coat; red kerchief with white spots). Designed by Leslie Harradine and Harry Fenton. Series: Charles Dickens' Characters, issued 1940 - 1960. Size: 2.25"H (mini)

Quantily:

In the 1837 Charles Dickens novel, "The Pickwick Papers," Sam Weller was a boots employed at the White Hart Inn. He became a faithful aide and valet to Mr. Pickwick and eventually married Napkin's housemaid. This character jug is unusual in that its modeling changes dramatically between the large and small versions.

The Royal Doulton Company began as a partnership between John Doulton, Martha Jones, and John Watts, with a factory at Vauxhall Walk, Lambeth, London. The business specialised in making stoneware articles, including decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes. The company took the name Doulton in 1853.

By 1871, Henry Doulton, John's son, launched a studio at the Lambeth pottery, and offered work to designers and artists from the nearby Lambeth School of Art. The first to be enaged was George Tinworth followed by artists such as the Barlow family (Florence, Hannah, and Arthur), Frank Butler, Mark Marshall and Eliza Simmance. In 1882, Doulton purchased the small factory of Pinder, Bourne & Co, at Nile Street in Burslem, Staffordshire, which placed Doulton in the region known as The Potteries.

The Lambeth factory closed in 1956 due to clean air regulations preventing urban production of salt glaze. Following closure, work was transferred to The Potteries.

The headquarters building and factory of the Royal Doulton ceramics firm were in Lambeth, on the south bank of the Thames. This Art Deco building was designed by T.P.Bennett. In 1939 Gilbert Bayes created the friezes that showed the history of pottery through the ages. The factory building was demolished in 1978 and the friezes transferred to the Victoria & Albert Museum. The office building in Black Prince Road survives, complete with a frieze of potters and Sir Henry Doulton over the original main entrance, executed by Tinworth.

On 30 September 2005, the Nile Street factory closed. Some items are now made in the parent company, WWRD Holdings Ltd in Barlaston, south of the Potteries Conurbation. Further production is carried out in Indonesia

Royal Doulton Ltd (along with other Waterford Wedgwood companies) went into administration on 5 January 2009. The company is now part of WWRD Holdings Ltd.

Sale

Royal Doulton Rose HN3709

$350.00 $175.00
Quantity in stock: 1
Sale

Royal Doulton Claire HN3646

$275.00 $140.00
Quantity in stock: 1