Shop Categories


Royal Doulton Cocker Spaniel HN1037

Hits: 685
$250.00 $125.00
plus 13 % TAX
Quantity in stock: 1

Royal Doulton Dog, Cocker Spaniel HN1037 Small, designed by Frederick Daws. Issued: 1931-1968 Size: 3.5''H Color: White and light brown


The Cocker Spaniel originated in the United Kingdom and was brought to Canada, Spain and the United States in the late 1800s. The smallest in their group, they are a sporting breed of dogs used to flush out birds and prey from the brush so their masters could shoot them. Happy and popular, the signature trait of the Cocker Spaniel is its dark, expressive eyes that reflect a happy, loving, and active nature.

The Royal Doulton Company began as a partnership between John Doulton, Martha Jones, and John Watts, with a factory at Vauxhall Walk, Lambeth, London. The business specialised in making stoneware articles, including decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes. The company took the name Doulton in 1853.

By 1871, Henry Doulton, John's son, launched a studio at the Lambeth pottery, and offered work to designers and artists from the nearby Lambeth School of Art. The first to be enaged was George Tinworth followed by artists such as the Barlow family (Florence, Hannah, and Arthur), Frank Butler, Mark Marshall and Eliza Simmance. In 1882, Doulton purchased the small factory of Pinder, Bourne & Co, at Nile Street in Burslem, Staffordshire, which placed Doulton in the region known as The Potteries.

The Lambeth factory closed in 1956 due to clean air regulations preventing urban production of salt glaze. Following closure, work was transferred to The Potteries.

The headquarters building and factory of the Royal Doulton ceramics firm were in Lambeth, on the south bank of the Thames. This Art Deco building was designed by T.P.Bennett. In 1939 Gilbert Bayes created the friezes that showed the history of pottery through the ages. The factory building was demolished in 1978 and the friezes transferred to the Victoria & Albert Museum. The office building in Black Prince Road survives, complete with a frieze of potters and Sir Henry Doulton over the original main entrance, executed by Tinworth.

On 30 September 2005, the Nile Street factory closed. Some items are now made in the parent company, WWRD Holdings Ltd in Barlaston, south of the Potteries Conurbation. Further production is carried out in Indonesia[3]

Royal Doulton Ltd (along with other Waterford Wedgwood companies) went into administration on 5 January 2009. The company is now part of WWRD Holdings Ltd.


Royal Doulton Mary HN3903

$250.00 $125.00
Quantity in stock: 1