Shop

Shop Categories

Sale

Royal Doulton Mark Twain D6654

Hits: 611
$200.00 $100.00
plus 13 % TAX
Quantity in stock: 1

Royal Doulton Character Jug, Mark Twain D6654 (black coat and bow tie, grey hair). Designed by Eric Griffiths, issued 1980 - 1990. Size: 7.5"H (Large).

Quantily:

Born Samuel Langhorne Clemens (1835 - 1910), Mark Twain was an American writer and humorist. He was best loved for his classic adventure stories, "Tom Sawyer" (1876) and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" (1884), which told of life in his native Mississippi. The small jug modeled for "The Queen's Table," Royal Doulton's exhibit at the United Kingdom Showcase at Walt Disney's Epcot Center in Orlando, Florida. The jug was sold exclusively to Epcot tourists visiting the exhibition during 1982.

The Royal Doulton Company began as a partnership between John Doulton, Martha Jones, and John Watts, with a factory at Vauxhall Walk, Lambeth, London. The business specialised in making stoneware articles, including decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes. The company took the name Doulton in 1853.

By 1871, Henry Doulton, John's son, launched a studio at the Lambeth pottery, and offered work to designers and artists from the nearby Lambeth School of Art. The first to be enaged was George Tinworth followed by artists such as the Barlow family (Florence, Hannah, and Arthur), Frank Butler, Mark Marshall and Eliza Simmance. In 1882, Doulton purchased the small factory of Pinder, Bourne & Co, at Nile Street in Burslem, Staffordshire, which placed Doulton in the region known as The Potteries.

The Lambeth factory closed in 1956 due to clean air regulations preventing urban production of salt glaze. Following closure, work was transferred to The Potteries.

The headquarters building and factory of the Royal Doulton ceramics firm were in Lambeth, on the south bank of the Thames. This Art Deco building was designed by T.P.Bennett. In 1939 Gilbert Bayes created the friezes that showed the history of pottery through the ages. The factory building was demolished in 1978 and the friezes transferred to the Victoria & Albert Museum. The office building in Black Prince Road survives, complete with a frieze of potters and Sir Henry Doulton over the original main entrance, executed by Tinworth.

On 30 September 2005, the Nile Street factory closed. Some items are now made in the parent company, WWRD Holdings Ltd in Barlaston, south of the Potteries Conurbation. Further production is carried out in Indonesia[3]

Royal Doulton Ltd (along with other Waterford Wedgwood companies) went into administration on 5 January 2009. The company is now part of WWRD Holdings Ltd.

Sale

Royal Doulton Elaine HN4718

$110.00 $55.00
Quantity in stock: 1