Shop

Shop Categories

Sale

Royal Doulton Toby Mug Walrus and Carpenter D6608

Hits: 687
$100.00 $50.00
plus 13 % TAX
Quantity in stock: 1

Royal Doulton Character Jug, Walrus and Carpenter D6608 (black hat with yellow band, dark grey hair; pink neckerchief with yellow dots; Walrus wears green coat, yellow waistcoat and cream pants). Designed by Max Henk. Series: Alice in Wonderland, issued 1965 - 1980. Size: 2.5"H (mini)

Quantily:

On a beach in Wonderland, the walrus and carpenter invited a number of oysters for evening conversation, which the walrus promptly ate.

The Royal Doulton Company began as a partnership between John Doulton, Martha Jones, and John Watts, with a factory at Vauxhall Walk, Lambeth, London. The business specialised in making stoneware articles, including decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes. The company took the name Doulton in 1853.

By 1871, Henry Doulton, John's son, launched a studio at the Lambeth pottery, and offered work to designers and artists from the nearby Lambeth School of Art. The first to be enaged was George Tinworth followed by artists such as the Barlow family (Florence, Hannah, and Arthur), Frank Butler, Mark Marshall and Eliza Simmance. In 1882, Doulton purchased the small factory of Pinder, Bourne & Co, at Nile Street in Burslem, Staffordshire, which placed Doulton in the region known as The Potteries.

The Lambeth factory closed in 1956 due to clean air regulations preventing urban production of salt glaze. Following closure, work was transferred to The Potteries.

The headquarters building and factory of the Royal Doulton ceramics firm were in Lambeth, on the south bank of the Thames. This Art Deco building was designed by T.P.Bennett. In 1939 Gilbert Bayes created the friezes that showed the history of pottery through the ages. The factory building was demolished in 1978 and the friezes transferred to the Victoria & Albert Museum. The office building in Black Prince Road survives, complete with a frieze of potters and Sir Henry Doulton over the original main entrance, executed by Tinworth.

On 30 September 2005, the Nile Street factory closed. Some items are now made in the parent company, WWRD Holdings Ltd in Barlaston, south of the Potteries Conurbation. Further production is carried out in Indonesia

Royal Doulton Ltd (along with other Waterford Wedgwood companies) went into administration on 5 January 2009. The company is now part of WWRD Holdings Ltd.

Sale

Royal Doulton Anniversary HN3625

$475.00 $240.00
Quantity in stock: 1
Sale

Royal Doulton Flowers for Mother HN3454

$125.00 $65.00
Quantity in stock: 1